My Favorite Albums of 2015

This year, it felt important to do a separate post for just the albums of 2015 that occupied my thoughts.  There were a few that were released that were complete works- truly had a story arch or a clear narrative, and to publish the songs off the albums in my year-end list without the rest of the album as context felt wrong.  And there were just a few albums I needed to recognize as complete works, with no particular stand out songs on them for the regular year-end list but the album as a whole being the more impactful piece for 2015.

I hope you will enjoy these selections.

Hans Zimmer - Interstellar: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
It is very rare for an original score in a movie to catch  my attention but this score was so good it almost distracted me from the movie (which I thought was amazing!).  I cannot get over the organ.  I read a bunch of interviews about the soundtrack and Hans Zimmer says he used the organ because at one time, the organ was considered the most scientifically advanced piece of machinery ever.  This soundtrack has made me weep this year simply because of its beauty and power and mystery. Favorite Track: "Detach"

The Lone Bellow - Then Came the Morning
I got to see this band twice this year and both times, in very different settings, they knocked my socks off.  This album is so beautiful, start to finish.  Full of great stories, beautiful harmonies, and powerful, heart-swelling songs, I haven't stopped listening to it since it came out 11 months ago. Favorite track: If you hold a gun to my head... "Fake Roses"

Seryn - Shadow Shows
When I went to their show in April it was the start of a very tumultuous three months.  But they continue to be one of the most exciting and uplifting live music acts around.  I hate the idea of them getting so big their shows no longer fit in weird back rooms of clubs in DC, but I also want their soaring music to reach the masses that I think need to hear it.  I can't wait for their next album. Favorite Track: "The Fire"

Taylor Swift - 1989
Because no person on planet earth was not affected by this ubiquitous album or TaySway herself in some fashion this year.  After much cajoling from my friend Sarah, I finally got into her music this year and, I have to tell ya, it's pretty good.  She is a great songwriter already and has some of the best in the biz making her songs even better in production.  And even if I hated her music, I would still like her because listening to her music has opened the door to conversations and new bonding with people in my life, both strangers and friends.  The second best thing about this album is the covers it inspired, first an entire album from Ryan Adams and then a single-song direct response from Father John Misty which kills me every time I listen to it. Favorite track: "Style" or "Out of the Woods" (pre- seeing the music video)

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
This is on everyone's best of 2015 list.  Once again, this weird genius creates a study of death in musical form that interweaves religious musings, true and profound statements human existence, and his gorgeous layered sound that is quiet and yet rings so loudly.  I may not have put this on my year-end album list though if I hadn't seen him perform the whole thing live.  He played a show in Baltimore and he didn't introduce himself or say any words at all, he just started playing the album and didn't stop at all until they played the whole thing through.  Behind him were beautiful images, art and lighting effects that highlighted several themes of the album. It was sort of like watching a play.  It was a very meaningful show. Sufjan also has trouble with himself when he's not singing or playing an instrument on stage.  He does these strange dance moves that I don't think he can help himself from doing in the in-between times.  Goes to show that, even if you front a band and are a genius, you can still be awkward. Favorite Track: Should Have Known Better

Jon Foreman - The Wonderlands: ShadowsSunlight, DarknessDawn
Jon released these albums over the course of 2015 and one of the themes I became very aware of this year was darkness and light occupying the same space, good and evil, sin and redemption.  I think this set of four EPs does an amazing job of exploring those themes.  Jon's voice isn't my favorite but I love the content he explores and some of the songs fit his voice perfectly.  He's been cranking out really great musical project exploring other themes too, like the four seasons, and I appreciate his creative vision for these projects. Favorite Tracks: "She Said", "Run Free", "Your Love is Enough", "You Don't Know How Beautiful You Are".  (I decided I get to pick one from each EP)

Paul Simon - Graceland
I've long danced around this album.  I've heard a few songs off it, sure, and heard lots more about its critical acclaim and innovation, but this year I finally took the time to really listen to it. Mostly because my older brother loves it so much. I listened to some of Simon's commentary on how this album came about and was fascinated by the creative process he went through to arrive at the finished product.  I also just love love love the sounds on this album. he said he recorded half of it in South Africa and half of it in Louisiana and you can hear the zydeco on it as well as the the traditional "gumboots" sound of South Africa.  It's an astounding album.  It's probably in my top ten of all time now. Favorite Track: "Under African Skies"

Dawes - All Your Favorite Bands
Saw these guys twice in 2015 and completely loved their new stuff.  This album is just as good musically and lyrically as their others.  They haven't deviated from their sound but it's never boring and Taylor Goldsmith's lyrics just seem to get better the more life he lives.  And those guitar solos? Keep 'em coming, boys. Favorite Track: "Somewhere Along the Way"

The Oh Hellos - Dear Wormwood
One of my most anticipated releases of 2015.  Another album that is a complete thought - a conversation between tormentor and tormentee with a beginning and and end.  In many ways it continues and improves upon themes from their last full studio album - Through the Deep Dark Valley. I love them because they speak so candidly about the initial sweetness of sin, the alluring danger of darkness, of the remorse on the other side, and the beautiful hope we have in conquering sin once and for all.  Maggie and Tyler Heath are some of the best songwriters out there these days, IMHO. Favorite Track: All of them.  I pick all of them.

Kurt Vile - b'lieve i'm goin' down...
Just listen to the lyrics.  This guy is a brilliant songwriter.  Simple production and stripped down lyrics make this album incredibly compelling in an unassuming way. His music feels to me like taking a leisurely stroll through his head and seeing what's really there.  It's sort of leisurely and even, and the way he speak-sings a little bit, in the style of Lou Reed and Bob Dylan. Favorite Track: "Wheelhouse"

Belle and Sebastien - Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance
Just because if they release something, it will probably be among my favorites for the year. You have to find the right moment to listen to this band, but when you do, it's oh so right.  For me, it's early morning car rides (preferably in spring with the windows down) with sun breaking in through my windows or cool calm evenings at home while cooking dinner. They always give me something to chew on with their songs and I love them for that. Favorite Track: "Ever Had a Little Faith?"

Jukebox the Ghost - Jukebox the Ghost
I've been listening to these guys since 2010 and it seems they have really found a groove here.  I remember loving Something Corporate/Jack's Mannequin because they billed themselves as "piano rock".  This group came together in DC (their GW alums) and Ben Thornewill's voice and piano skills are not to be missed. I love their clever lyrics and I think they say some true things.  They're funny too.  Just listen to the song "Hollywood".  It's all there.


Honorable Mention -
Stereophonics - Keep the Village Alive
Bronze Radio Return - Light Me Up
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats - Eponymous
Eagle Rock Gospel Singers - Heavenly Fire
John Mark McMillan - Borderland






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon