Home Again, Home Again

Just a few quick notes having already touched down in Atlanta and with a short layover until my final leg. Lots of Chacos every where. This gladdens my heart as I think that Chacos are God's gift to feet. But a surprising amount are popping up here in Atlanta and I guess it's just unexpected because of the locale. I would not be surprised if I were at, say, DEN or SLC.

I just purchased soft serve frozen yoghurt for breakfast. I couldn't resist the temptation. It was as creamy, cold, sweet and delicious as I hoped it would be.

It feels very strange to be coming back in the pinnacle of summer, as I have just left a country in winter. Granted, it was a milder winter, but it is strange to see people in shorts and sandals and feel the oppressive humidity everywhere. I am also excited for the extended daylight hours. The sun was setting at about 5:45 in SA and here I'll get a good three extra hours of daylight. To me, this is the best part about summer. It feels like the days go on forever.

I had to claim my baggage and re-check it here because it was my first stop in the US and I had to go through customs. It took probably one quarter of the time to get my baggage off the plane and into my hands as it did in Jo'burg or Cape Town. I hate checking bags anyway, but it was necessary for a 6 week trip. I have to give a certain amount of respect to the people at the Atlanta airport for how quickly they manage the enormous amount of stuff that goes in and out of their airport every day. Dulles too, of course.

I cannot WAIT to get back on Pandora and podcasts and find some new tunes and incorporate my new African bands with my current library. I am going to give the Genius function on my iTunes a run for its money. I want to see how it will interpret the new stuff and weave it in with the old.

I am so excited to go home and watch the final of the World Cup. I am not as excited to go back to work this week. But there is something nice about coming back to familiarity and life as I know it. It feels like I've been gone forever but it really hasn't been that long. But its always great to come back to the US.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon