First Day it Broke 90 degrees

Today I finally got my first taste of delicious summer. Not the gross summer that makes you wilt within 5 seconds of contact with the outdoors, but luxurious, hot, sunscreen-scented sunshine. It made me want a chaise lounge and a mojito. It's hard to say what my favorite part of today was. It was definitely not the fact that I had to work. But if I had not worked today, I would not have witnessed two things which brought me a lot of joy:

1) An excited bride surrounded by bridesmaids and flower girls and junior bridesmaids in vivid pink. She was taking large gulps straight from the bottle of champagne before the younger girls showed up. Her dad and lots of other suited men came up and glowed with pride (including one guy with the best chin strap beard I have EVER seen) as she was waiting for her limo in the lobby of the resort. I had met the groom the day before and the feeling of anticipation was palpable.

2) An elderly couple came in and wanted to thank me for the lunch reservations I made for them. They later told me it was their anniversary and they were out celebrating 55 years of marriage. They had lived on the same street growing up and had known each other for over 75 years. I can't stomach movies like Titanic, or The Notebook, because someone wrote them to make a movie that would win people over. But this kind of thing, this couple standing there talking with love after 55 years, wins people over without any carefully developed plot line or beautiful actors playing their parts. These two people are the inspiration for movies like that, and they are real.

I started thinking about all the weddings I will attend this summer and the one I went to in January. I am glad I'll get to be there at the beginning and I hope that they will all end up like the couple still together and very much devoted after 55 years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon