Back in the Tropics

I have been in Dominica all day. I was supposed be in Martinique by now, but they cancelled my flight. So I had an impromptu one-day layover in Dominica today. And I have to spend most of tomorrow here too. It sounds strange to say it but I REALLY wanted to get back to Martinique today. I was so angry when they told me I couldn’t go. This happened to me with the same airline on the way home too. Thankfully, they found a way to get me to Dominica on time to catch my flight to San Juan, and ultimately, to the states. But today I couldn’t help myself and I just broke down in the middle of the Take Airlines office. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy when I came back, but I didn’t want it to start this early. I didn’t want there to be a problem before I even got to Martinique!

Today wasn’t completely wasted. I went to town to wash the one set of clothes I hav
e with me, and then I went to Trafalgar Falls just to see a little bit of Dominica while it was still possible. I know that I won’t be coming back. Then I watched the fuzzy movie channel for most of the afternoon and saw a good portion of The Producers, National Treasure, and In Her Shoes. I didn’t really want to see any of them, but it was something to do. I am just feeling very defeated already. I seem to be thwarted at every bend. I can’t even travel without getting messed up. It’s not always like that. It is just residual frustration from these crazy islands (that just cancel flights haphazardly without telling their customers) that is coming out right now.

Trekking through the rainforests and seeing the falls today was pretty cool. I am always impressed by the lush green and wild landscape in this country. I saw it a little bit in St. Lucia, and Martinique is so developed it is hard to find it, but here it is everywhere. I had a guide help me climb down near the pool at the foot of the falls, which got a little tricky because the rocks were jagged and slippery, but I made it okay. I wished I had a swimsuit with me so I could have gone in. I know that there was a bigger reason for me getting stranded here today, probably so I could see some of Dominica and not treat it as the stopover destination it is in my mind. And I am glad I could explore a little bit, but I am scared, and I feel like this mishap set kind of an ominous tone for the rest of my time here.

There are two large medical schools in Dominica, Ross University and All Saints University. On my flights to and from America I met a lot of students and they all said the same things to me about their Caribbean home. They want to get their schooling
done and get out. I feel bad that some of them have to stay years. I don’t think I could handle it. They say they mostly study, and sometimes after an exam they will go out. I guess it takes a special kind of non-native to be able to live in the Caribbean and be okay with all its twists and turns and slowness. I don’t think I am that kind of person. Even these last two months will be a serious challenge. Today when they cancelled my flight I just wanted to turn around and go home.

Home. While I’m on the subject, let me just say that I love America. Being home was wonderful, and knowing that I had to leave again the whole time was awful. But while I was there I got the recharge and the spirit-bolstering that I really needed. I am so thankful for the friends and family that are in my life. You all are my life-force while I am down h
ere and I wouldn’t make it through a day without your prayers and your kind encouragements.

I am filled with trepidation about these last two months. More than I was when I left definitely because I know what is there and I know what teaching is like. I feel very alone here on Dominica and I wanted to get back to Martinique today to at least have some familiar things around me. But such as it is, I will be
here in my little hotel room, listening to the sounds of the sea and the letting the tree frogs sing me to sleep. So, life-force creators, keep your prayers coming. I need them more now than ever. To be continued when I get back to my island.

Monday:

I did get back to my island, rather late in the day on Sunday. Marie-Ange
was there waiting for me and I was glad to get back to my apartment. But I have to stay I was still a little shaky emotionally to be back. I started doing errands and going about business today. I called teachers to confirm schedules and see what they want me to do for the coming weeks. I guess two months isn’t so long, but when I say two months to myself it sounds like an eternity. I brought my replacement computer back to Martinique with me and it is on my mind to keep it safe. After I got robbed I didn’t feel so bad about leaving the house because I didn’t really have anything else they could take of great value. Now that there are valuable things here again I have taken to a strange system of hiding things, and I hope I don’t end up outsmarting myself.

In spite of all my negative talk it did actually feel good to come back to Martinique. It is home for right now I just don’t know why I can’t shake this feeling of being unsettled. I drove the roads I always drive today, remembered how outwardly beautiful the country is, remembered how much I like how colorful the flowers are contrasting against the vibrant green that surrounds them. Maybe I just got too comfortable at home, stayed too long. I remember saying it when I left Grenoble, went home for Christmas, and then left for Paris: Home is so easy, so comfortable. Then, I read 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 which was, of course, comforting. I know that the most important pieces from home will always travel with me. And I know there is a reason for all of this. I just forget it sometimes.

So I begin the second half of the journey.


I thought I would include some pictures of my everyday life in Martinique that I wanted to take but when I finally decided to do it, the camera was stolen. So here they are, slightly delayed:

Some ripe oranges right outside my window bordered by the palm trees that ru
stle calmly at night.




The house where I live in Petit Berry. The wooden part is my half, and behind it is Marie-Ange's half.




This is my 1994 Citroën ZX in my driveway. I haven't named her because I don't want to get too attached since I have to part with her soon. But she knows how I appreciate her. She is good to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon