5th Cousin to General Lee

I'd like to take a moment to introduce one of the most colorful characters in my day-to-day life: Harry. He works the 3-11pm shift at the hotel, sometimes the night audit shift (11pm-7am). Harry is older, very set in his ways, and will talk your ear off as long as you let him. He's rockin' the 4-hair combover most days. The first time I saw him drive up to the hotel, he made a good impression because he drives a '91 white VW Golf 4-door. Almost my first car. I went with the red two-door with the CD player instead.

Right now Williamsburg is abuzz with the hum of sporty polo shirts, crisp khakis, white visors and polite clapping. The LPGA's Michelob Ultra Open is at Kingsmill this week. We're hosting a number of the golfers and supporters of the event at the hotel. Yesterday, as I was leaving, Harry made it a point to mention to me that I should not be going to the gym as I usually do after work, I should be sticking around in my nice work clothes and try to "snag one o' dem golfers" because he knew I was "in the market". Harry means well, but his old Virginia ways and his archaic view of what courtship is today are not really parallel to my own. More like perpendicular. Also, it's the LPGA... not the PGA. So, that might be a problem too. He said it because there were a lot of male golfers checking in at the moment.

Harry, if you give him long enough, will be the first to tell you that he's 5th cousin to General Lee. I don't exactly know what a 5th cousin means. I'm sure if I asked him, he'd have a family tree in his back pocket and he could show me. But it's obvious that Harry still thinks that women should put on their "mos puhlaaat Vuhgiiiinyuh acciiiints" and bat their eyelashes at men who play golf (read: men who have money) so that they can marry well and be content with their lives. I have noticed wonderful qualities in the old Virginia gentlemen that I have come across: politeness of days long passed, devotion and kindness to others that is rare. But I can do without the Scarlett O'Hara approach to chasing men.

Harry also asked me why I bothered to get a degree. He says I have an education but I don't have any experience, and an education "don't count for nothin'" without experience. I'm not really sure how he's managed to make me a feminist and an uneducated debutante in the twice-weekly 30 second conversations we have (where I am constantly trying to get out the door and make it as short as possible). He's just direct I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon