Old Town Love

Old Town Alexandria....

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

  1. The Potomac. This river, while full of unsavory things, is still very beautiful to look at, calming to my soul, and is a neverending source of joy for me.  
  2. I can walk to all my grocery stores.  
  3. the GW Parkway.  A beautiful and stoplight-free stretch of road with stone bridges and lovely panoramas.  
  4. Evening walks down on King St. make me feel like I am crashing about 150 dates at any given time.  
  5. The lights in the trees on King St. 
  6. PX - swanky cocktails with a side order of pretension.  But I always feel special when I go there.  
  7. The rooftop of my building, where I can seek a cool breeze, watch thunderstorms roll in, or get a great perch to photograph sunrises or sunsets. 
  8. Biking or running into the District.  It's close, but I still feel like I live a world away.
  9. Moonlit walks on soft summer evenings along the water. The more romantically inclined from all over the metro area seem to love this about Old Town too. 
  10. The old, narrow and short buildings in the colonial style.  
  11. Brick front row houses with brightly colored doors.  
  12. Hydrangea and honeysuckle blossoms in early May along the footpath.  
  13. The guy with the 427 Red Cobra on S. Union who is out there nightly with his garage door open showing off.  
  14. Cobra guy's friends who come over and bring their amazing cars including:  a late 70s Triumph TR6,  another 427 Cobra this one blue with a white racing stripe which I have had wild thoughts about stealing MANY times, a Dodge Viper, and a yellow Ferrari.  
  15. Jones Point Park. 
  16. GW Parkway Classic
  17. The historic boundary marker where DC, Maryland and Virginia used to meet.  
  18. The cobblestone section of Princess St. east of N. Washington St.  
  19. That corner near Del Ray where they just kept the cannon in the middle of the road.   
  20. The guy who plays the water glasses.
  21. The hammered dulcimer player by the shoe store on King St. 
  22. The lady who dresses in medieval garb and plays her lute.  
  23. Little kids making sandcastles on vacant volleyball courts.   
  24. Engagement and wedding photo shoots without fail EVERY weekend.   
  25. Lavender Moon Cupcakery, specifically the basil fig flavor.  
  26. The park bench at the tidal lock by the Canal Center office park that sits right on the water.  
  27. Spring sailing and rowing regattas. 
  28. The running group that goes out and high-fives everyone on Saturday mornings.
  29. Farmer's market. 
  30. Scottish Day parade.  
  31. The Apothecary.
  32. The porch swing tables at Virtue Feed and Grain.
Mostly it's just unparalleled charm and beauty that keep me coming back to this neighborhood and the gorgeous things about it.  I'm so happy there, even having to drive to Falls Church and Arlington all the time to see friends.  This is a love letter to Old Town, a list I hope keeps growing. I pray I never stop seeing new beauties and tender mercies about living in such a place.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon