The St. Louis Chronicles Day 3 - NAFSA begins and The Brazil Party

I realize that my field is pretty specialized.  But internationalization in education actually is a priority on most college and university campuses.   Since the world is getting smaller, cross cultural communication more critical, and wanderlust is intensifying, it's a good time to be in the business of increasing student mobility and knowledge exchange.

NAFSA national conference is the big dance.  I've been to a regional conference before but never to this;  at 8000+ attendees, it's a gargantuan event.  I've enjoyed being with my delegation and meeting the people they know from going to this conference so many times.  Many of them know presenters, partners, and purveyors alike, no matter if they are involved with our students or not.

I was a bit overwhelmed when I first walked into the palatial expo hall filled with colorful booths of people vying for each other's students, services and solutions.  Also, the "SWAG" as Michael Scott would say (Stuff We All Get!).  This year's giveaway of choice: the recycled tote bag. Before I left to come to this conference, I was shocked to find that my office is accustomed to receiving these spoils as consolation for not being able to have attended the conference themselves.  I was approached from several different members of my office with requests for pens, totes, toys, etc.  I was also given specific instructions by several people about what kind of pens they wanted, what colors would be best (bright ones), please no wooden pens (they splinter, you see) and what kinds of toys would be preferable.

In situations like this it's hard for me to engage because I clearly see the people with the best toys/giveaways, but we really have nothing to talk about other than my desire to have their hackysack colored like a map of the world.  Can I walk up and say "hi.  um, that's a pretty cool balsa wood airplane you have there.... sooo.... can I have one?" My colleague who has been to NAFSA so many times said that I shouldn't make eye contact, just grab and go.  I am not comfortable with that either but I did take a pen from one table because I was heading to a session and realized I had lost mine.

So I did a first-timers orientation which was semi-helpful.  Mostly though it's just a way for you to figure out how involved you want to be with the organization and all aspects of the conference.  After the orientation, I went to the booth the GCC countries have and started meeting people and universities who are interested in hosting Kuwaiti students, that is, everyone.  I went to a session that afternoon and then heard Kofi Annan as the opening plenary speaker.  The big platform for NAFSA this year is immigration reform and Mr. Annan did speak to that and the benefits of international education and studying away from his home country which opened the doors for him to do the great work he has done and continues to do.

After that I walked to the Arch.  I had seen it at night but during the day it's prettier I think.  Maybe going up to the top at night is better, to see the lights of the city.  But it's very beautiful in its simplicity, probably because a Finnish guy designed it.


My boss insisted on taking us all to dinner which was so nice.  We ate at one of those classic italian places with the pictures of the famous people on the wall and where the maitre d' knows everyone and has been working there for 35 years.  The owner, Tony, came out to greet us and he was lovely as well.  You can see why this place has been around for so long.  Also, the food was incredible.

For as long as I have known about NAFSA I have been hearing about the Brazil Party.  Every year there is this party that is much talked about and everyone says is an amazing time.  The Brazil pavilion in the expo hall is huge and the first day of the conference they don't even talk to you about business.  I went up because I was legitimately interested in Brazil-sponsored students, but they said "tomorrow we work, today we promote the party!"  Priorities, people!

So after dinner my colleagues and I piled in a cab and headed a bit south of downtown to this large old building, which could have been a large art gallery.  The music was going, there was dancing and tons of people.  They had a live band and a DJ and I danced for an hour non-stop.  They had two girls in Carnavale costumes (read: sequined bikinis with large headdresses and feather boas) who were leading the crowd in dancing.  It was hard not to watch them.  They were so sparkly and beautiful.  The movement of latin dance is all in the hips and once you get the rhythm it sucks you in!  This was after 14 hours of conference events, networking, schmoozing, meetings and walking etc.  Latin music is THAT good.     The Brazil party lived up to its name.  I went home completely exhausted and wishing I listened to Alt Latino on NPR more.  Perhaps that podcast is worth a subscription.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon