Seryn at Hamilton Live - 5/23/13

I believe that words have a beautiful power behind them that can convey things in a way that nothing else can.  But when it comes time to use words to convey true art, anyone would struggle. If words are not the art themselves, simply a means to share that art, or contextualize it, then something is almost always lost in the translation.  I fear that tonight's concert-going experience cannot be adequately described in words yet here I am, unable to go anywhere else than my laptop.


Concerts are a special thing for me.  They are communal and revealing about me, about the music I hear, about the people who are hearing it with me, and the people who are playing it.  I've come away from shows genuinely heartbroken, exuberant, exhausted and sweaty, bored, sour, sore, mind-boggled, and ecstatic.  I don't think I've ever come away speechless.  After the show my friend kept talking about how these guys are going to be huge in two years, or how it's crazy that this show wasn't at the 9:30 Club.  I could barely hear him.  I was trying to hold on and rewind moments before time and distance blurred them.

There is some movie where someone talks about this.  I wish I had a research assistant to do insane google searches and figure it out, but the character in the movie asks a question something like this: Have you ever been in a moment so beautiful it's almost sad because you know the moment has to pass? Even if I had recorded the whole show it would never sound like it did sitting 10 feet from the stage in a small club in Northwest DC on a muggy May night.

There is no member of this band that plays less than 4 instruments, and all of them play with a creativity and genius that comes from genuine love, talent and dedication.  I want everyone in American to hear Seryn play live because they are doing amazing things and people should know about it.

At one point the lead singer was either blowing into his guitar or using his teeth on the strings and making a wailing/groaning, eerie sound that was still somehow beautiful. They passed their instruments off to one another like people shaking hands.  The bass player during one song played the trumpet with one hand and harmonized on the frets of his bass with the other.  Incredible musicality shone forth from this stage.

But the other thing that shone forth was the spirit of this band.  Moments of their songs sound like Native American chants with a wind blowing through them.  There was a spirit that descended on the room that was beautiful and touched everyone in it.  Seryn will move you, even if you can't feel what they bring to any room where their music is played, only a person who is completely closed off will not at least appreciate the brilliant musicianship they display.  In short, GO SEE THIS BAND!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon