Everyday hilarity

Alright, I know I need to update on the Darryl situation but that will be a more involved post.  For the time being, in the midst of post-vacation catching up at work I have come across two things that I have found terribly amusing.

1 - I have a student doing research for his PhD out west and have been wading through piles of receipts to reimburse him for travel costs, including fuel.  Through this wading, I have found that gas stations out west have AMAZING names.  Colorado boasts a chain called Loaf n' Jug.  But my personal favorite, Toot'n Totum, obviously hails from Texas.  It begs the question, why have we East Coasters been bothering to write out those conjunctions when you can be folksy AND save signage costs at the same time?

2 - Desperation e-mails.  Admittedly, these shouldn't be as funny to me as they are.  These students are genuinely worried about their academic futures.  Make no mistake, I'm genuinely concerned for them.  More for the fact that they will try and blame me if they don't get an offer anywhere than for the fact that they would be unjustly denied the chance to share their brilliance with the world through their undoubtedly groundbreaking research.    But please allow me to post possibly the best e-mail I have ever, and perhaps will ever, receive which falls in this category:

"    Hi,

     Now the number of Universities that I applied for them are reducing day after day and the word sorry is increasing. Please I am afraid that I will not found the acceptance from the 13 universities that I am waiting for until now...can you help me to find the acceptance from university that you have chairs on it for Kuwaiti students??? I know you told me before to wait and faith but I can't stop thinking. Please help me if you can. Also if it need from me to come to the embassy I will take an airplane and come. But please help me to get the acceptance I pig you. Thanks for your patient and your big heart, I will wait to hear from you,,,   "



Please note that I have not changed any grammar, diction, or syntax for added humor.  This is 100% original material from my dear, concerned student.  Sorry to laugh at your expense, but the world (comprised of the 3 people, maybe, who read my blog) needs to see this.  My co-worker did a dramatic reading of it yesterday and I had to step outside to regain my composure.

More on Florida soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon