Wits

I have arrived in Jo'burg at the University of the Witswatersrand. I had a really great first night too. My arrival at the airport included: a short wait at passport control, several comliments on the USA jersey I sported for the entire trip over, my bag getting to Jo'burg (thank God), and a driver waiting to pick me up and drive me to Wits. It really couldn't have gone more smoothly if you ask me. When I got here, I spent a few minutes unpacking, then trying in vain to make my internet work, and then I gave up and started wandering around a bit to see if I could see anything. I didn't get to campus until about 7pm but I did end up meeting a bunch of people. Not seeing a lot of campus but hopefully I'll be able to do that today. I met a guy from the Elliot School at GW who is here but on his way out in a few weeks. I also met a guy who is from William and Mary studying abroad here. He leaves on Sunday I think. I met another girl from the US and three German girls. We watched "Lost in Translation" together and I owe them a lot for making my first night not at all boring or scary. They answered a lot of my questions and helped me get a feel for the reality of campus. I am very grateful to them all. I am also really glad I'm living in the international house even though it seems as though most people will be leaving here in about two weeks. It's much easier to meet people when they all feel as different as you do in this place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon