Do not encourage silly behavior!

I was sitting innocently at my desk, G-chatting and looking at Easter Brunch menus, when I hear " 'Ello Gov'nah!"

Into my office walks a portly man in his 50's smiling. I couldn't help but laugh. He said "Oi 'av a few questions concernin' Colonial Waaaalliamsburg". At this point he had approached my desk, with its very nice secure guest-retaining wall that is extra high and that young children like to swing on in the summer months. Because the accent was so bad, and he was just a silly, silly man, I laughed. Mistake.

He asked why I was laughing. I told him because of his accent. MISTAKE! He then CONTINUED the accent for the rest of our seemingly-endless Q&A session about where to eat in Williamsburg. In which I learned (in cockney English) that his wife likes "those new age places that give you a stick and a sliver of meat and charge you a hundred bucks" and that he likes real food. He also asked my where my boyfriend takes me. I hate when men do that. I wanted to say that since I eat exclusively spray cheese and my mommy told me boyfriends are the devil, I wouldn't be able to answer that question very well. So now I'm torn between wishing this man would go away and being interested in how long he will persist in conversing in an English accent with me. He outlasted my wildest expectations.

He left when I got a phone call. Then when I hung up, he popped back in and CONTINUED the English accent. " 'Ello Again!" I get another call. "Cheerio f'now mate! Back in a bit with the woife!" This time he leaves for a while, but then comes back, wife in tow. STILL with the english accent. And he kept it up until I had successfully completed dinner reservations for the next three nights. I suppose he had explained it to his wife, because she didn't look surprised that he was talking that way. Perhaps this is a regular occurence at his house.

Also, on Sunday, someone asked me where Williamsburg is. Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon