I've always believed, this just proves it.

I know I've spoken before, even in this blog about how I have a firm belief in Divine control over my iPod and the songs I hear on the radio sometimes. I saw a new non-threatening chain e-mail thing on facebook about the soundtrack to your life as defined by the shuffle feature on your music player, and I thought it was the perfect opportunity to test my beliefs. Now, I know that we're not supposed to test God like the Israelites in the desert did (see the book of Exodus) but I was hoping this is more like Gideon with the fleeces (Judges 6:36-39).

Here's how it works: Open your music library, put it on shuffle, press play. For every question, type the song that's playing, and when you go to a new question, press the next button. No cheating and skipping songs, obviously. Each question corresponds to a scene in a movie about your life broken down into major events.

In order to be scientifically sound (um, kind of...) I ran the test twice. I will include the results of both experiments as well as an analysis because I'm a huge fan of the scientific method.

-----Trial #1-----

Opening Credits: "Groove Me" by King Floyd

Waking Up:"Derelict" by Beck

First Day Of School:"Twist and Shout" by the Beatles

Falling in Love:"Stickshifts and Safetybelts" by Cake

First Song:"With or Without You" by U2

Fight Song:"Lost!" by Coldplay

Breaking Up:"Shelter from the Storm" by Bob Dylan

Prom:"April Come She Will" by Simon and Garfunkle

Life Theme:"At My Most Beautiful" by R.E.M.

Mental Breakdown:"Song for a Train Ride" by Gadjo Playboys

Driving:"Holes to Heaven" by Jack Johnson

Flashback:"Tell Him" by The Exciters

Getting Back Together:"Very Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder

Wedding:"Dreams" by The Allman Brothers

Birth of Child:"Serious Times" by Gyptian

Final Battle:""Weight of the World" by Chantal Kreviazuk

Death Scene:"Killing Me" by Graham Colton

Funeral Song:"Silver and Gold" by U2

End Credits:"Hey Brother" by Beulah


Analysis: It's not a bad list. A lot of the songs are really appropriate. "Serious Times" at the birth of my first child. Two of my favorite artists are represented in excellent placements. "Silver and Gold" at my funeral would be a good tribute if I somehow become an inflammatory political activist before I die, but I don't think that's very likely. "Weight of the World" is more a song about overcoming battles or being free from them than actually being in one, so I don't think that's a very good "final battle" song. "Killing Me" as my death scene soundtrack is appropriate in title alone. It's actually about love, not death. but it's still pretty great that that came up. I really don't want the Allman Brothers played at my wedding. Also, the getting back together song of "Very Superstitious" is nice and ironic. And "Lost!" is a very wussy fight song if you ask me, but I've always fought with my words, never my fists.



----Trial #2----

Opening Credits:
“Carolina” by Josh Rouse

Waking Up:
“Do You Like the Way” by Santana featuring Lauryn Hill & Cee-lo

First Day Of School:
“Rascals Out” by Gadjo Playboys

Falling in Love:
“Far From Saved” by Granian

First Song:
“Trouble” by Ray Lamontagne

Fight Song:
“Hope on Board” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Breaking Up:
“Gold Dust Woman” by Fleetwood Mac

Prom:
“Only the Good Die Young” by Billy Joel

Life Theme:
“Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands” by Bob Dylan

Mental Breakdown:
"Down the Road Tonight” by Hayes Carll

Driving:
"World Spins Madly On” by The Weepies

Flashback:
"Annie Waits” by Ben Folds

Getting Back Together:
"Candy’s Room” by Bruce Springsteen

Wedding:
"Piano Sonata #14 in C Sharp Minor, ‘Moonlight’ 3. Presto Agitato” by Ludwig von Beethoven

Birth of Child:
"Jack and Diane” by John Mellancamp

Final Battle:
"BaguĂ©e” by Paris Combo

Death Scene:
"Ev’ry Time We Say Goodbye” as sung by Ray Charles & Betty Carter

Funeral Song:
"Southern State of Mind” by Steven Kellogg and the Sixers

End Credits:
"Cocoon” by Jack Johnson

Analysis: A really fantastic list. Some of my favorite songs ever are on it. For my wake up song, I don't think that "Do You Like the Way" is all that representative of my life when I first wake up, but it's a cool song to wake up to anyway. "Rascals Out" is a great first day of school song. "Far From Saved" is a little too troubled of a song for me to be completely comfortable with that as my falling in love choice. I would like it to be something happier than that. It's kind of funny because the next song is about being saved by a woman but scorned at the same time. My love life will obviously be tumultuous. "Hope on Board", a song I like very much, is a terrible fight song. I have some music in my library that would be GREAT fight music. In fact, I downloaded most of it because of Tarantino-movie fight scenes. I LOVE that "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" is my life theme. My wedding song is frenetic and C sharp minor is a very unhappy key. Boo. My death scene song is heartbreakingly appropriate. Almost as good as "As time Goes By" in Casablanca. That's a score. My funeral song is one of my favorite songs ever, but it would be better for my driving song. The Weepies are a good driving band though. They give you a lot to think about.


So all in all, I think while there were exceptions, the lists were very well stocked with the "random" selections from my library. I have always been, and will remain forever, a believer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021: My Year in Music

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

Spoke Too Soon