Voice Recognition

This just happened to me at work. To set the stage, I had to call a phone company to inquire about the telephone numbers at Wedmore Place and how to switch our toll-free line over to the other building.


Phone recording: Hello, you have reached Cavalier Telephone company. Please state the telephone number of your account.

Me: 7-5-7-2-5-8-0-8-9-9

Phone recording: 7-9-7-3-5-2-0-5-9-9 (Pause) Is that correct?

Me: Not even close.

Phone recording: You can speak to me like you would a normal phone operator.

Me: I don't think you want me to do that.

Phone Recording: Please state the telephone number of your account.

Me: 7-5-7-2-5-8-0-8-9-9

Phone Recording: 7-3-6-3-2-9-0-5-8-8 (Pause) Is that correct?

Me: Are you SERIOUS??

Phone Recording: You can speak to me like you would a normal phone operator.

Me: Can I also punch you in the face?

Phone Recording: Please state the telephone number of your account.

Me: Heaven help us. 7-5-7-2-5-8-0-8-9-9

Phone Recording: 2-7-8-0-6-4-1-3-8-5

Me: GAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Phone Recording: You can speak to me like you would a normal phone operator.

At this point I hang up because I need both hands to smack my head repeatedly and smear down my face in frustration.

A few minutes later I mustered the courage to call again.


Phone recording: Hello, you have reached Cavalier Telephone company. Please state the phone number of your account.

Me (with fingers crossed): 7-5-7-2-5-8-0-8-9-9

Phone recording: 7-2-7-4-5-8-1-2-9-9 (Pause) Is that correct?

Me: (deep breathing) okay, we're gonna do this ONE more time.

Phone recording: You can speak to me like you would a normal phone operator.

Me: HA! can we just get on with this?

Phone recording: Please state the telephone number of your account.

Me: sev-en fiiiive sev-en twooooo fiiiiive eeeiiiiight
zeeeeroooo eeeeiiiight niiiiiine niiiiine


Phone recording: 7-5-7-2-5-8-0-8-9-9 (Pause) Is that correct?

Me: YES!! Yes! It's correct!! It's correct! WOOOO!!!!

Phone recording: Please hold while I connect you.

Me: WOOOO!!!!... oh... hello... sorry... I'm just excited that... um, nevermind. so here's the thing.....


When I finally got off the phone I just started laughing hilariously. I felt like I had just been experiencing a comedy sketch of some sort. Anyway, despite the original frustration, it brightened an otherwise dull Thursday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last day of Classes, Good Friday, and the first 24 hours in Istanbul!

2021: My Year in Music

Spoke Too Soon